If creative writing is your passion, then you’d probably enjoy a career in which you could spend all day (or at least most of the day) pursuing that passion.
But creative writing is an artistic pursuit, and we all know that a career in the arts isn’t easy to come by. It takes hard work, drive, dedication, a whole lot of spirit, and often, a willingness to take big financial risks — as in not having much money while you’re waiting for your big break.
When we think of people who make a living through writing, novelists and journalists come to mind immediately. But what other jobs are out there for folks who want to make creative writing the work that puts food on the table?
Here’s a list of 20 creative writing jobs that you can consider for your career path.
- Greeting Card Author
- Comic Book Writer
- Creativity Coach
- Writing Coach
- Advertising (Creative)
- Songwriter (Lyricist)
- Freelance Short Fiction Writer
- Creative Writing Instructor (give your own workshops)
- Legacy Writer (write people’s bios and family histories)
- Travel Writer (if you travel)
- Article Writer (write, submit, repeat)
- Video Game Writer (includes storytelling/fiction!)
- Personal Poet (write personalized poems for weddings, funerals, childbirths, etc.)
- Blogger (don’t tell me you don’t have a blog yet!)
- Creative Writing Consultant
Posted by Melissa Donovan