Make Your Mark! With thoughtful preparation and research, you are sure to make any networking event a huge success. Here are tips to maximize networking opportunities:
BEFORE THE EVENT
- Identify your goal for this event
- Update all aspects of your social media
- Update/print multiple copies of your resume
- Review and prep your portfolio
- Rehearse your elevator pitch
Take time to research the companies and people who will be attending
- What is their focus?
- What is the company history?
- What are their projects?
- Who are their clients?
- What is their company culture?
- What are your transferrable skills?
- How does your passion align with their culture and goals?
- How can you and your brand stand out?
- Dress in clothing that exudes confidence and respect
- Arrive 10 minutes early
- Bring resumes tailored to the companies attending (and a few extras)
- Bring your portfolio
- Everyone is a potential contact
- Use your research to initiate genuine conversation
- Listen with intent and curiosity
- Firm handshake
- Focused eye contact
- Remember to ask for a business card
- Make a list/notes RE: who you meet
AFTER THE EVENT
- Followup within 1-2 business days
- Send a personalized email
- Connect on Linked In
- Engage on social media
- Monitor company updates and hiring opportunities
- Stay in touch periodically
Expand Your Network
- Find additional networking opportunities
- Practice networking
- By attending networking events on a regular basis, you will gain greater confidence, stronger networking skills and increase your connections.
If you would like assistance with your resume, practicing mock interviews, or creating a career strategy, contact your Career Advisor for an appointment at 800-757-1505. We look forward to connecting with you.