You have attended a networking event and met valuable contacts. Now what? It is important to follow up and develop your professional relationships.
Always follow-up within 1 or 2 business days
- Connect on LINKED-IN and social media
- Follow up with an EMAIL
- Add new network connections to your CONTACTS database
- RESEARCH your new connections.
- Get EARLY NOTIFICATIONS: Set up job alerts on CAREER SYNC & LINKED-IN
- EVERYONE IS A CONNECTION: Connect with peers, instructors, employers, professional acquaintances & advisors.
- PRACTICE networking skills / attend EVENTS
- BE A GOOD CONNECTION to others. Share information.
- Always KEEP YOUR CONTACT INFO UP-TO-DATE
- STAY IN TOUCH
HOW-TO GUIDE FOR FOLLOW-UP
CONNECT ON LINKED-IN or EMAIL
Send a LinkedIn connection request. Don’t use the template. Personalize your message (see sample below).
If your new contact shared their email address, send a brief message. Remind them where you met and thank them for sharing their time and expertise.
KEEP TRACK OF YOUR CONNECTIONS
Update your CONTACTS database.
Utilize the tools on LINKED-IN to add private notes, to remind you when and where you met. LinkedIn is an excellent tracking tool, because if your contact moves or changes companies, you won’t lose touch.
RESEARCH YOUR NEW CONNECTIONS
Learn about your contact and research their company; including projects and current news. The more you know, the better you are prepared for job opportunities and interviews.
GET EARLY NOTIFICATIONS & APPLY EARLY
Use advanced features on CAREER SYNC & LINKED-IN to “Follow” a favorite company or set up customized alerts to receive notifications when new job opportunities are posted.
If you are applying to a job at a company where you have a connection, send a LinkedIn message or email to politely let them know you are applying to the job. You can ask if they have any advice. Thank them for their time. Always be professional and polite.
EVERYONE IS A CONNECTION:
- Connect with your peers (fellow classmates), alumni and other Full Sailors. (Remember, your peers are the employers of the future).
- Connect with professionals you already know in your personal life.
- Connect on LinkedIn with your instructors and advisors.
- Stay in touch. Keep your advisors updated.
BE A GOOD CONNECTION TO OTHERS
Share information and be helpful to your peers and contacts. If you are generous with your time and networking with others, they will in return, be inspired to help you. If you hear of an opportunity that is well suited to someone in particular, pass the info along.
As your career advances, you will become the success stories of the future. Remember: everyone is a connection, so treat others the way you would like to be treated, with courtesy, helpfulness and professionalism.
PRACTICE NETWORKING SKILLS / ATTEND EVENTS
Find local opportunities to network. In the beginning, you may feel awkward or nervous. Don’t worry. Most people do, at first. With practice, you will become more relaxed and good at networking.
- Find networking groups near you (use resources like: Meetup.com)
- Research your film commissions, film festivals or guilds in your state.
- Attend local events: chamber of commerce, conferences, industry events, mixers and professional groups.
HOW TO WRITE A PERSONALIZED LINKED-IN REQUEST:
Do not send a generic template request. Personalize your message:
- Remind them where/how you met.
- Thank them for their time and expertise
- Politely request they keep you in mind for the type of job you are seeking
- Request to connect on LinkedIn
HOW TO WRITE A FOLLOWUP EMAIL
- Remind your new connection where/how you met.
- State why you are writing (to thank them for attending the event and/or applying to a job opportunity)
- Provide specific examples of how you are a good match to their company
- Thank them for their time and consideration
EMAIL ADDRESSES: *Always use your own name and professional email address. No nicknames or inappropriate email addresses).
STAY IN TOUCH:
- Maintain your connections.
- Connect and engage on social media.
- When LinkedIn sends you a notifications that a contact has moved to a new company, send them a brief message of congratulations.
- Stay in touch periodically.
ALWAYS KEEP YOUR CONTACT INFO UP-TO-DATE
If you move or have a change in career status: update your LinkedIn profile, your website/portfolio and social media.
Alert your Career Advisor and update your contact info. Don’t miss out on future career and networking opportunities.
Keep your CareerSync profile updated.
If you would like assistance with your resume, practicing mock interviews, or creating a career strategy, contact your Career Advisor for an appointment at 800-757-1505. We look forward to connecting with you.